“Every time you sacrifice something at great cost – every time you renounce something that appeals to you for the sake of the poor – you are feeding a hungry Christ. You are clothing His nakedness. You are offering shelter to a homeless Christ. Every time we are concerned about the poor – whether they are near or far away – we do it all for Him.”
Mother Teresa of Calcutta
What does the Social Justice Committee Do?
Third Sunday Collection
Every third Sunday of the month, we are at the Church doors gratefully accepting food and money donations. Many parish members benefit from this, as do the following:
- Dubuque Food Pantry
- Hope House
- Dubuque Area Congregations United – People in Need (P.I.N.)
- Rural Outreach
- Dubuque Rescue Mission
- St. Patrick’s Dinner
- St. Mark’s Community Center
- Habitat for Humanity
- Albrecht Acres – Archdiocesan Special Needs Program
- Dubuque Y Domestic Violence Program
- Fr. PJ’s Parish in India
- Dubuque Boys’ and Girls’ Club
- Clarity Clinic
- Donna Ginter Thanksgiving Meal
- AIDS Foundation
- Keep Our Neighbors Warm
Fair trade products help support farmers in need and make sure they earn a fair profit for the items they produce.
“I assure you, as often as you did it for one of my least ones, you did it for me.”
Matthew 25: 37-40
Our Other Projects
- We organize and deliver food baskets to families at Thanksgiving and Christmas.
- A Giving Tree brings joy to many during the Christmas season and in the summer when we sponsor “Christmas in July” to help with school expenses.
- Parishioners prepare meals and serve them at the Dubuque Rescue Mission, St. Patrick’s parish, and Hope House.
- Our parish has food collections in the vestibules to help stock a food pantry throughout the year. We share with families within our own community and those in the Dubuque area.
- We are represented at Dubuque Area Congregations United (DACU).
- We discuss social justice issues and take appropriate action after prayer, reflection, and discernment.
- We offer a forum for representatives from various charities to give informative presentations on their needs and goals.
How Can We Work Together?
We can only accomplish our committee’s efforts through the generous gifts of so many people. We are grateful for all the help we receive.
Please notify the parish office of any need of which you are aware. We don’t know how we can assist until we hear from you!
We hold meetings on the first Monday of every month at 6:00 pm in the Youth Center. New members are welcome at any time.
If you would like more information on the Social Justice committee, please contact the parish office.