When is Confirmation?
St. Joseph the Worker will celebrate the sacrament of Confirmation Sunday, March 11 at 2 pm.
We will have Confirmation Classes following each month’s Youth Mass on either the second or third Sunday of the month.
Our next Confirmation Class will be on Sunday, October 15 following the 11:00 Youth Mass.
What is Confirmation?
Baptism, Eucharist, and Confirmation together make up the Sacraments of Initiation. When we receive the sacrament of Confirmation, we receive the full outpouring of the Holy Spirit granted to the Apostles on the day of Pentecost.
CONFIRMATION is the sacrament which roots us more deeply in divine relationship. It incorporates us more firmly into Christ, strengthens our bond with the church, associates us more closely with her mission and helps us bear witness to the Christian faith in words and deeds.
Essential to the Rite of Confirmation are:
- the anointing on the forehead with holy chrism,
- the laying on of hands with the words, “Be sealed with the Gift of the Holy Spirit”,
- and the sign of Peace.
Preparation for Confirmation should aim at:
- Leading the Christian toward a more intimate union with Christ
- And a more lively familiarity with the Holy Spirit and the Spirit’s actions
- in order to be more capable of assuming apostolic responsibilities of the Christian life
Catechesis of Confirmation should strive to awaken a sense of belonging to the Church of Jesus Christ, the universal Church as well as the parish community.